The Bethel Volunteer Fire Department traces its origins back to 1831, when the Bethel Fire Company was formed. Several other volunteer companies were later formed: Grassy Plain Hose Company located on Greenwood Avenue, Alert Hose Company located on Nashville Road and Eureka Hook and Ladder Company located on Elizabeth Street. There was also a company called the Old Forgotten Engine Company whether this was an active firefighting company or not is unclear. In 1926, the Grassy Plain Company was disbanded and the Eureka and Alert Companies were reorganized into one company. In 1934, the name of the department was changed to the Bethel Volunteer Fire Department #1 Inc. The department headquarters was on Nashville Road, but it continued to use the Alert and Eureka firehouses. In 1941, the Nashville Road firehouse was closed and a new headquarters was opened in the former high school on South Street. The Eureka firehouse was still used until 1966, when a new, larger building was constructed on the site of the South Street station. The building has since been renovated several times to improve our facilities and department operations. Behind the firehouse is also our member-renovated fire museum.
Bethel Volunteer Fire Department provides an array of services for the citizens and visitors of Bethel, CT. The Department has two engines, one tower ladder, one tanker, one rescue, one brush unit, one utility unit, and two ambulances. The department operates under Northwest Region 5 EMS protocols. Dispatch is run out of the Bethel Police Department. The Office of Emergency Management and the Emergency Operations Center is located at Town Hall.
The Department works in conjunction with our brothers and sisters of the Stony Hill Fire Department and surrounding towns. We have an automatic aid agreement with Stony Hill Fire Department for fire calls, while the two departments have separate ambulance primary service areas.
Mail: 38 South Street, Bethel, CT 06801
Routine Phone: (203) 778-7414
Call 911 for all emergencies.